Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Pride and Prejudice

This novel is the final reading for my Restoration of 18th century British Literature class, and one sentence in particular stuck out in its similarity to a story we discussed in class.

On page thirty of the novel, Mrs. Bennet remarks "but you must own she is very plain. Lady Lucas herself has often said so, and envied me Jane's beauty. I do not like to boast of my own child, but to be sure, Jane-- one does not often see anybody better looking. It is what everybody says. I do not trust my own partiality."

This scene of a mother boasting of her child's superiority reminded me of the story of Niobe, and the moral that it teaches. Luckily for Mrs. Bennet, Apollo and Artemis do not feel the need to give her five daughters a hailstorm of arrows, one could say they dodged the bullet *ducks to avoid flying objects from that pun*.

No comments: